The C&S Coal Chutes: Pine, Como, Dickey, Pitkin and almost Breckenridge

Re: Como and Outhouse: More Outhouses.

Chris Walker
Jim,

recent discussions brought me back to this picture,  and the consignment of Outhouses destined for use on the Clear Creek line.  I don't see any windows apart from the Diamond Vents.

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/10444/rv/singleitem
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Another View for Jim

Chris Walker
The snow may be piled up high, but something stared me down near the Chamberlain-Dillingham Ore Sampler.

Summit County Historical Society coll.
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Another View for Jim

Jim Courtney
Yep, looks like the aborted coal chutes at Breckenridge, end on, to me.

Any date on the photo?
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: Another View for Jim

ComoDepot
Post 1897?

Re: Another View for Jim

Robert McFarland
A blow up of this photo is in an article about the Breckenridge coal dock in Jan2013 B&Lpp12-13.The C.H.Scott photo showing the incomplete dock is dated as ''circa 1897''.There is a follow-up article on p27 of the April issue.

Re: Another View from Jim: The Pitkin Chutes

Jim Courtney
This post was updated on .
Another eBay purchase this week:

This photo of Cooke C&S number 49 has been published in several books, but is usually cropped, leaving out some good stuff at the right frame.

The photo dates from 1906-1907, judging from the lettering scheme of the locomotive.

This is about the only view I've seen of the track side of the Pitkin coal chutes.  Just as in Joe Crea's drawings of the Pitkin chutes, the trestle bent posts are all vertical and appear to be piles instead of square timbers.

Looks like both a boxcar and a stock car are being used to deliver coal for locomotive use.
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: Another View from Jim: The Pitkin Chutes

Todd Hackett
Is that rail joint in front of the pilot plow missing a couple of bolts?

Re: Another View from Jim: The Pitkin Chutes

Jim Courtney
Is that rail joint in front of the pilot plow missing a couple of bolts?

An expansion joint, perhaps, like on model track work?
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: Another View from Jim: The Pitkin Chutes

ComoDepot
Jim Courtney wrote
Is that rail joint in front of the pilot plow missing a couple of bolts?

An expansion joint, perhaps, like on model track work?
Not sure Rail expands in Pitkin, well not by very much.

Re: Another View from Jim: More coal chutes--Como and Dickey

Jim Courtney

Re: Another View from Jim: More coal chutes--Como and Dickey

ComoDepot
Como, well the track has gone so I would assume post 38 but not by much. Roundhouse wooden extension not there and that burned down in 1935.

Re: Another View from Jim: More coal chutes--Como and Dickey

Jim Courtney
Good eye. The photo was undated. The quality of the photo made me think it was much older.
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA