St. Elmo boxcars question

Kurt Maechner
Does anyone have info about why the two boxcars ended up above St. Elmo?  Since they were off any trucks, I assume they were there to house someone or something as outfit cars.
Thanks for any insights,
Kurt

Re: St. Elmo boxcars question

Randy Rieck
In Poor's book DSP&P on page 430 he states as follows:
            The old St. Elmo depot burned and was replaced by a new one in 1898.
            The two old box-car bunk houses, which interest a number of South Park
            fans today and on whose sides of the faded letters, U. P. D. & G., can still
            be seen under a weathered coat of paint, were set out here in 1908.

Re: St. Elmo boxcars question

Kurt Maechner
Thanks for finding that!  I was up there last summer and want to put together some of the video footage along with some facts about why they are there, so that helps a lot.

Would these bunk houses have been for section crews?

Re: St. Elmo boxcars question

South Park
  The well known photo, showing an upgrade train approaching the St. Elmo
depot as a man throws the switch nearby, is this the original depot, or the 1898
depot ?  It appears the approaching locomotives all wore straight stacks.

  Has this burning/new depot story been verified ?  Was the depot rebuilt from
remains, or was it all new ?
"Duty above all else except Honor"
bcp

Re: St. Elmo boxcars question