Scenery Express

Mike Trent
Administrator
I wanted to share a couple of pictures of six ready made Conifer Pine trees that arrived a couple days ago.

These are from Scenic Express, and they are everything I hoped they'd be. Conifers, distinctive by their upturned branches are very common in South Park Country, my backdrop has thousands of them. I got turned on to Scenic Express by Dennis Tebo in LA (California, not Lower Alabama) when I had told him I was looking for clumped weeds I needed for my Durango Turntable scene. Wow!

Last Sunday I was poking around their website and found these. I'll order a few more, but I really can't use many, as Dickey resembled the bottom of Dillon Reservoir long before it existed.

These a a bit pricey, but man, they are great. And, they are available in kit form. They have aspen too.

Check them out here,

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/Pines-Evergreens/products/1004/

Poke around their website. you won't believe what they have. I'll be ordering some late Autumn Buffalo Grass, which abounds in the Rockies.

These have about a 1 1/4" pointed stem for planting. I have drilled holes for them just to see how they looked, so some of them lean a bit. I have three 8" trees, two 10", and one 12". I'll probably duplicate that order tomorrow with some Buffalo Grass.

Re: Scenery Express

Lee Gustafson
Mike,

Beautiful scene. What trees did you use? The Scenery Express website lists many choices and I'm not sure which ones you used. Thanks.

Lee Gustafson

Re: Scenery Express

Mike Trent
Administrator
Hi Lee.

Look for trees, then ready made trees, and scroll down to conifers. Conifers have upward branches and are extremely populace in the South Park area. The prices are for each tree. Today I ordered six more, 3 8", 2 10", and 1 12". And three packs of Buffalo Grass.

Go Buffs!

Re: Scenery Express

Keith Hayes
Mike, I guess we are both on a tear!
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: Scenery Express

Lee Gustafson
Mike,

Found them! Thanks. ;-)

Lee Gustafson

Re: Scenery Express

Mike Trent
Administrator
Way to go, Keith and Lee! This stuff is great.

Re: Scenery Express

Todd A Ferguson
Looking great guys!!!

I have made my own grass tufts using a static grass applicator I made a few years ago for about 20 dollars.  They are easy to make and cost next to nothing compared to buying them.  Of course you can also use the applicator for applying areas of grass that are larger. You can also use it to apply needles to pine trees in larger scales if you want to model long needle pine trees.

I have also built both pine tree and aspen trees using the bottle brush technique of twisted wire for the trunk and natural rope fibers for the structure.  The McKenzie brothers have offered tree making machines to speed this process but I have not got around to buying one of their machines.  I did it using a vice and my battery drill.  It is a little slower but works with a bit of practice. The trunks are then covered in hot melt glue to make them look more like trees rather than twisted wire.

I will try to post some photos later in the week if people are interested.  If you need a lot of trees and are not a millionaire I suggest you check out the McKenzie Tree Machine...

Best,
Todd Ferguson