Romley and the Mary Murphy mine

Jeff Young
I’ve seen quotes indicating that there were two trams at the Mary Murphy which brought ore down to Romley.  However, looking at Google Earth (https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Mary+Murphy+Mine,+San+Isabel+National+Forest,+Colorado+81236,+USA/@38.6699096,-106.3520422,1553m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x871550032a283833:0x1d3a49ab82c1383b), I can clearly see at least 5 tram lines:

2 from the upper mines to the bottom of Pomeroy Gulch (just a bit upgrade the Romley bridge),
1 straight down-hill from the upper mines to midway up Pomeroy Gulch, where there is a more-or-less intact double-decker tram house and boarding house,
1 at right angles to the above which goes from the lower storey of the tram house to the Mary Murphy mill (a bit down-grade from the bridge),
1 going back up-hill from the mill toward Iron Chest mine (but it looks like it ends in a fallen-down tram house at another mine a bit lower than the Iron Chest).

There’s also the Alie Belle tipple, which is often listed as a lower tram house for the Mary Murphy.  However, it’s up the ROW quite a ways from the other tram lines, and doesn’t appear to be a tram house at all (there’s at least one mine directly behind it, so there doesn’t appear to be a need for a tram either).

1) Is the Romley townsite just upgrade of the bridge (near where the two tramlines come down)?
2) Anyone know the name of the mine slightly lower down the hill from the Iron Chest (where the other tram from the mill goes)?
3) Anyone know what any of the lower tram houses looked like?  (I have pictures of the one at the mill going to near the Iron Chest, and one picture of another, but without any location details so I don’t know which it is.)
4) Presumably only a couple of the trams were in use at any given time.  Anyone know the order and/or staging of them?

Cheers,
Jeff.

A very interesting blog with some excellent pictures:

Some more good pictures:

A 4-part posting on ghosttowns.com with some useful pictures:

Re: Romley and the Mary Murphy mine

Randy Rieck
Hi Jeff,
You have studied the tram lines that show on Google Earth more than I have. It's amazing how after 100+ years the lines are so clearly visible.
1. Here is an early picture of 2 tram houses reported to be at Romley.

2. A 1989 drawing by Derrell Poole of the Romley town site published in the The Call Board.

3. I have included Darrell's commentary. This material was provided to me by Todd Hackett.

4. A dark picture of Romley below the railroad grade.

5. A picture of the Romley Post Office.

An excellent book  From Gold to Ghosts by Peter Anderson published in 1991 has an extensive discussion of the mines above Romley.
You probably know that the Mary Murphy Mine was purchased by a British group in 1904.

This group built a large mill at Golf, downgrade from Romley.  They also dug a tunnel to bring ore out of the mountain to the mill so no trams were used.
If others have different, better information, or pictures, I hope they will share.
Cheers, Randy

<

Re: Romley and the Mary Murphy mine

Jeff Young
Great stuff, Randy.  Sounds like the two trams to the Golf mill were indeed later (with the tunnel probably later yet).  But I didn't realize there were mills in Romley proper as well, serving the earlier two trams (or at least one of them).  Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Jeff

Sent from my iPad

On 13 Jul 2015, at 21:05, Randy Rieck [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Romley-and-the-Mary-Murphy-mine-tp2683p2841.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Romley and the Mary Murphy mine

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Romley and the Mary Murphy mine

Don Peterson
Hey Derrell, if you're out there... not questioning your drawing but what is the source for the location of the original depot vs the "new" one. Did the original depot coexist with the Ogden eating house? And would that have been at the location of the "new" depot? That is what I would surmise from the Kiersey photo. I always thought the sequence was Ogden, then Hancock depot then the "new" depot and that none existed concurrently.

Don Peterson