Quantcast

Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

1234

Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

John Schapekahm
Morrison, from the opposite direction of Chris’ view, with Garfield Quarry spur curving around down below, lower right, and the Morrison branchline main heading diagonally offstage mid left.
Attribution = http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/

Strouseville in the foreground, from the opposite direction of Chris’ view, with Morrison in the background, and Garfield Quarry spur diagonally below; the Morrison branchline is barely discernable across Bear Creek in the distance.
Attribution = http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker
A truly evocative image of the Depot at Train time.  With high and low Stands for Jeff....

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/10228/rv/singleitem/rec/2
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker

Train Time in Morrison - in a different day and age.
Attribution = http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

John Schapekahm
On Friday night, June 27, 1890, a fire began in the rear of the drug store owned by G.T. Harris in Morrison. No one was around to call the alarm since it was two in the morning and all the businesses along Main Street were closed. Just as the flames broke through the wooden roof of the drug store, a swirling wind picked up the fire and sent it racing across the rooftops of the other businesses. Two hours later every business on Main Street, except for a business office and the meat market, was burned to the ground. Citizens of Morrison watched helplessly as the town burned. There was no fire department in Morrison. Fire Chief Pierce of Denver was notified shortly after the fire was noticed, and he sent a
 fire steamer and crew but arrived much too late to provide any service. Denver's Fire Steamer sucked water out of Bear Creek and the crew watered down the embers that still glowed in the disaster. The two buildings that survived the flames were spared only because the wind changed direction just as the fire reached them. The fire spread so quickly that none of the business owners could rescue any of their merchandise from the fire.
Historically Jeffco Magazine-1990-Summer

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

John Schapekahm
OK Chris - - - Here's a test to see how good you really are = see if you can come up with a clear depiction of this, the freight room end of the Morrison Depot!!!

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker

Here’s the actual "downtown" Morrison Lime Kiln itself
Attribution = http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

John Schapekahm
Nope - close, but doesn't show what the Freight Room end of the Morrison depot actually looked like - - - keep looking ...

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Chris Walker
This post was updated on .

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

John Schapekahm
This post was updated on .
Ohhhhhhh Nooooooo  !!! Not giving up so soon are you Chris ?!? I had such faith in you. Tsk tsk tsk … And here I was going to give you THE definitive 100% for sure precise date answer to your October CONX #9 tank car question in reward …
Oh C’mon. Don’t be down hearted. Hey, let’s wander over to Schrock’s Saloon and I’ll buy you a drink. We can chum with (dark shirts, L to R): Clyde Waugh, Selden Tuttle, Jim Parley, Mose Miller, and Tom Morrison (son of the Town’s founding father, holding the shot glass). Ed Bishop is back there behind the bar, on the left, by the frosted mirror – he’ll get you anything you want. BTW, I think the first white-shirt has gotten himself waayyy over-served …

Oh, in case you need directions Chris, it's right down the street there - - - you can't miss it ...
Attribution = http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Robert McFarland
Jan 2008 p5 Bogies& Loop has an early photo of that end of the Morrison depot that is credited to Art Wallace's collection and is too small to find any detail.Derel has links to Jefferson Co. historical sources.I believe I saw a copy of that photo in some of their material.Using my computer's enlarging tools  to blowup Chris' blowup it looks like that end has a freight door centered in the wall.
Remember they'res two freight doors on the backside and one on the front.

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Todd Hackett
Robert McFarland wrote
Jan 2008 p5 Bogies& Loop has an early photo of that end of the Morrison depot that is credited to Art Wallace's collection and is too small to find any detail....
I believe that's the same photo John already posted. I have a film negative of that photo that I got in eBay, but it isn't very clear. Art let me uses his print to make a lenticular print that transitions to the way it looked in 1875 to how it looks today (or at least how it looked six years ago when I took the modern photo). I needed to be a littler farther south to match it exactly, but the ridge the photographer stood on has been carved back a bit for the road. Here are the then and now photos, and some close-ups of the depot area. It looks like at that time there is a single window centered in the end.

Re: Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison

Todd Hackett
For reference, here is an overlay of information from the 1918 ICC map with modern features (©2011 DSP&P Historical Society):

The grade is easy to find and walkable from Soda Lakes Rd west to where it picks up Spring Street. From there, there are houses built on it on the south side of Bear Creek, and a parking lot on the north. Bear Creek has been re-routed a bit in that area, and I couldn't find any traces of the bridge abutments.
1234