Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Chris Walker

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/4957/rv/singleitem

A third Boiler has been added to the left and coalbin extended.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/67651/rec/21

And at some stage the 1st Stack has been decapitated, then removed.

Apparently there was trouble with keeping the Stacks at the same height.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77714/rv/singleitem/rec/6

1908Sanborn note: now 2 stacks out of 3 boilers

http://libcudl.colorado.edu:8180/luna/servlet/UCBOULDERCB1~21~21

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/38898/rv/singleitem

In the area before the Argo Mill was built there was a Woodyard served by a stub siding off the Newhouse passing siding, this being the second of 3 identical sidetrack arrangements inside Yard Limits before I.S. Town Business District proper.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/38917/rv/singleitem
Even this Stack was truncated.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/36550/rv/singleitem/rec/4
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Digging Deeper into the Scene.

Chris Walker
The results of a further look into this picture from the DPL,  the following are noted.
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/4957/rv/singleitem
The coalbin siding appears to terminate in a pile of dirt.  Only one track is visible after that, that being of the Mainline to Denver here at this point.  As the Orebins have not yet been constructed(to the right) by the time of this photo, then it is plausible the siding was indeed extended afterwards.

OK What else do you see in that photo?

I see a Water Tank, one that is behind the Powerhouse.

One that does not appear in the later views, any of them.

Could this be the tank that was shifted/removed because of the obviously encroaching waste rock dump of the Newhouse tunnel?  Maybe that the "person" who described the shift/removal to Harry Brunk (or however Harry found this info) was mis-interpreted to be referring to the CC, C&S Railway Tank, not the Boilerhouse Water Tank?

I am certain that if that watertank was not moved then it indeed would be visible behind the (extended) building in this later view, one taken at a higher angle.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77714/rv/singleitem/rec/6

UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Derrell Poole
You know there has been a certain amount of noise on this forum about staying on topic and the complexity of finding information on a subject. It sorta confounds me that this subject - Idaho Springs Mill Studies - is spread out all over the Discussion Forum in spite of that aforementioned noise. This should have been a series of Blog Articles, Chris, with discussions on the topic there. That would have made Keith very happy - and not made derrell look so irascible... (hint - derrell would be irascible anyway - its my hobby).

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Rick Steele
... and to add to the noise, There's this one from the USGS monograph on Gilpin, Boulder and Clear Creek County mining.Read the Caption...

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Chris Walker
This post was updated on .
Rick Delivers!

Finally a expansive picture showing very clearly that the Newhouse Tunnel, did indeed expend considerable amount of wasterock upon the Eastside, downstream of the Tunnel prior to the construction of the Argo Mill and not "uptown" further more lending credence to support my idea that the removal of the I.S. first W.T. was not due to Wastedump expansion but some other unknown reason.  Noted is the weathered coloration of the rock on the left of the tunnel compared to the fresh look on the right.  Quite obvious that they ceased dumping upstream.  Supported by demonstrating the dissappearance of the Boilerhouse W.T. at this time.

Derrell,
I had dragged this Newhouse Tunnel out of the inter-related Idaho Springs W.T. discussion for that reason, that this would be a platform to show the changes for those wishing to model an earlier time period and not that of the latter Argo Mill, which I must say was done very well by Harry Brunk in the Gazette series.   That thread had become mired in indifference.  In various posts for quite a while I have alluded to clues in photographs that support but are waiting for the eventual fit of the missing piece.

As for the notion I have to prove my doubt of the written when those clues are in right front all the time beats me.
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Derrell Poole
Chris, typically a blog article gets about 10 responses - even before the discussion forum. Therefore one might assess Blog Articles are more likely to stay on topic and that the collection of  information would be more organized if embodied into one or a series of such articles. Writing - being a writer - isn't a prerequisite either. More thorough discussion could be carried out on the DF but the pertinents of the subject would still be embodied in the Article(s). Your biggest issue then would be getting readers to go back and reference those article for the information they seek - but you are going to see that sort of neglect anyway. Which means it's their personal problem - not those of us who share the information in the first place. Besides. It keeps Roper off the streets on Saturday morning!

Hey, Keith pointed out a particular issue with organization and I'm pointing out that we who write CAN easily organize our information with the tools already at hand.

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Chris Walker
Three earlier views of the Newhouse Tunnel.

from Idaho Springs Historical Soc.

from USGS.

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/89931/rv/singleitem/rec/2
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Jeff Young
Wow, that’s quite a change from how the site looked later….

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Chris Walker
Yes Jeff, there was as far as I can make out, only one house falling victim to the encroaching wasterock dump.
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Chris Walker
Another slightly later view after the addition of the second boiler and a good view of that Tank

from Idaho Springs Historical Soc.
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Newhouse Tunnel Boilerhouse: Growth And Demise.

Chris Walker
And a nice view of the Tramway used to put the Gilpin Tram out of work.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hMEAAOSwNvxa7gti/s-l500.jpg

UpSideDownC
in New Zealand