Quantcast

New layout room

Mike McKenzie
Putting the finishing touches on my new layout room/shop area. I don't want to brag or cause jealousy among the less fortunate, but the space is a robust 38.75 square feet (roughly 52" by 9 feet or so), or as I prefer to think of it - 310 cubic feet! Well, we use what we got... It would make a modestly generous walk-in closet...

It's a little alcove off a one-car garage that I pushed out about a foot and put a nice heavy exterior door up. The space is hooked up to the house's H&AC with a supply and return so it should be comfy in the winters and summers of Chicagolandia. The laundry/utility room is just on the other side of the wall, so that was easy. I put down a thin sub-floor to help insulate the slab floor.

The Sherline mill is in one back corner and a spray booth will be put in the other, vented to the outside just above or below the existing dryer vent which you can see in the photo. Along the right side is a decent sized modeling bench, the wife will be happy to get my stuff out of the family room, but to her credit she hasn't complained. Anxious to start using the mill (bit of a beginner) to mill notches in the side and end sills of some C&S coals, figure that will be a decent way to build up some experience.

The layout will rest on the heavy-duty shelf brackets along the right side and the back wall, which will put the track at about 60". There is a hole in the wall, temporarily plugged, which will allow for a 10-12 foot staging yard out in the garage along the wall, which will need to be weather-proofed. Modeling in Sn3 will require some creative planning, but that's my scale and I'm stickin' to it. The space is too skinny to allow a decent radius curve to utilize the left hand wall, but that would make things pretty tight anyway and the corners will be prime real estate. I'll be hard pressed to have a half dozen turnouts. The space restrictions are part of the deal though and will be a neat challenge that I'm looking forward to. Some people would see this space as half full, I see it as half empty... Whatever...

Maybe someday I'll have more space for a larger layout, as long as I can resist the temptation to go overboard. But right now I have an actual layout room, and it's all mine! Well, except for the Christmas decorations up on the high shelves...

The layout will be freelanced with both heavy C&S and D&RGW influence. The threads about early interchange have been particularly interesting and I've been drawn to the Leadville/Breckinridge/Dillon area as well as being a long-time 3rd division fan. Era will be 30s-40s but will probably model the occasional out-of-time rolling stock. For power I've got a bag-o-parts C-21 and a basket case C-16, so I have some work cut out for me. Hope to pick up a C&S connie or mogul as well but will alter all power to have a family resemblance as well as a mix of C&S-D&RGW influences. Will keep y'all informed of my progress, I do tend to model within a geologic time frame so don't hold your breath...

Two weeks until the Symposium...

Mike McKenzie

Re: New layout room

Don Gustavson II
I am excited for you.
No mater how much space you have it is never enough. With that said... Looks like you have plenty of room to make a great looking layout.
Be sure to keep us updated with pictures.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.

Re: New layout room

Bill Uffelman
Congratulations on acquiring space with HVAC for your next RR empire. Can you add a hinged or removeable shelf across the door to create a U shaped layout? Tra k on the added shelf Coulee fed from the staging shelf. A mill would give you traffic in and out - coal, ore, machinery and supplies in, bagged ore out.

Look at Blackhawk as a scene. Town had turntable, mills and neat town buildings. Throw in line to Central City abovev the commercial district and you have RR.

Build your C21 as #537 and C16 as a leased D&RGW C19.

Have fun and send updates.

Bill Uffelman

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:44 PM, Mike McKenzie [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/New-layout-room-tp8005.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: New layout room

Jim Courtney
Keith,

Glad you're moving forward building a layout with the space available!

There is a hole in the wall, temporarily plugged, which will allow for a 10-12 foot staging yard out in the garage along the wall, which will need to be weather-proofed.

I'm scheming to do something similar. A 'round the wall C&S shelf layout in my 10'x20' shop area, above my tools/work benches. I'd like to add a double ended staging yard via 2 holes in the wall between the adjacent, but un-insulated, un-heated garage.

How are you planning to weather proof your staging yard?

Sn3 is a great scale for model building, but does eat up the available layout space! I sometimes wonder if Jeff and Don aren't on to something with HOn3.
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: New layout room

usairman737
Mike,

Congratulations, and stride forward briskly....

Gerry

Re: New layout room

Mike McKenzie
Bill, I hadn't thought of that. Come straight out of staging - one line curves off down the right side - the other line goes across the door opening on a hinged or lift-out section and curves down the left side with a trailing point turnout leading back into the corner just inside the door. Hmmm...

Jim, the garage is insulated but unheated and can have a nearly 100 degree range (granted, extreme) from summer to winter. So I'm thinking basically a long box with a hinged lid, lined with 1" foam. More to keep the cold and heat out of the alcove (man cave if you prefer) than the staged trains warm...

Mike

Re: New layout room

South Park
  Just one of my cars takes up that much space !  When I began building
my "layout room", I had 9 cars and enough junk to fill three 12'x30' storage
units, so the finalized plan was a 30'x70' building, with 2 floors.

  I can see certain advantages to modeling in scales less that 12":1' !

"Duty above all else except Honor"

Re: New layout room

South Park
   You know,  I ought to offer layout space for some of you go-to South
Park modelers.  I can enjoy all the work without buying all the expensive
model kits and gear !
"Duty above all else except Honor"