More photo backdrops

Gavin Hince
Have been lurking here a while, but thought that I'd better come out into the light & share some progress.

I'm modelling Clear Creek Canyon circa 1930 in On3, in a 'studio' room above our two-car garage. That provides a comfortable layout space, complete with carpet, TV and a beer fridge! The layout is about 2/3 scenically complete, running from staging (for Golden) via Elk Creek & Forks Creek, to Black Hawk, Idaho Springs & Silver Plume. Most scenes aim to capture the 'flavour' of the prototype - I'm more focussed on making an interesting layout (so far from Colorado here in Australia!) than an exact replica.

On Friday I was scanning old forum posts and happened across Doug Tasgold's panorama of the hillside behind Idaho Springs. My own scene had only a blue-painted wall as yet. I contacted Doug off-post and he kindly shared his image file. Five trips to our local printer later, by Sunday evening I could mount a nice photo backdrop behind my scene. The IS depot is scratch build from card, using windows and trim laser-cut by Outback Model Company (thanks Laurie); other structures are freelanced and as yet, are just propped in place. The backdrop gives the whole scene a lift - this should spur me to get stuck into adding structures & details, etc.

Thanks very much Doug - a great example of collaboration via this forum!
Cheers...Gavin

Re: More photo backdrops

Jeff Young
Hi Gavin,

That backdrop looks fantastic!

(Nice weathering on the rolling stock, too.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: More photo backdrops

Jim Courtney
Indeed, beautiful work!

Interesting how C&S fans in the Southern Hemisphere seem drawn to the Clear Creek line.

I'd love to see more photos of your On3 rolling stock.
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: More photo backdrops

Don Gustavson II
This turned out great.
Would like to see more pictures of your layout.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.

Re: More photo backdrops

Mike Trent
Administrator
Very nice, Gavin, it has an authentic feel that jumps out and grabs you.

These photo backdrops add a new dimension to everything we do, especially when they represent the actual location of the scene, as yours does.

Very creative solution to your depot, as well!

Mike

Re: More photo backdrops

Konrad Schreier
Gavin - that is a hugely effective backdrop,  and cures one of the big problems in getting a model scene to become believable.  Did you have  to manipulate the images to create a seamless panorama?

Great looking layout,

Konrad

Re: More photo backdrops

Bill Uffelman
Subscribe to NG Down Under  Don 8>))

Bill Uffelman
Ocean View DE

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Don Gustavson II [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]
This turned out great.
Would like to see more pictures of your layout.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/More-photo-backdrops-tp8174p8183.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: More photo backdrops

Doug Tagsold
Konrad,
The backdrop is composed of five individual shots that I used photoshop to merge into one long panoramic image.
Here in the states, the entire image can be printed on two 2 foot by 8 foot prints which Walmart calls "Banners" for under $30 each.

Doug Tagsold

Re: More photo backdrops

Doug Tagsold
If there are any other C&S modelers interested in using this backdrop on their own layouts, I'd be glad to send them my image file.
Doug Tagsold

Re: More photo backdrops

Gavin Hince
Now I'm crying, Doug! I paid about $A200 (around $US170) for a 12" high print; you guys can get a bigger one for much less!

I did like that my print was on self-adhesive film (a plasticised-style paper). This made it very thin, so the vertical seams didn't show; and the self-adhesive backing made it quite convenient to apply.

Now I'm doing the math, on the linear feet of photograph prints I'd need to stretch around the rest of the layout...