MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jeff Young
Simple question (for once):

Is the MicroTrains boxcar-red reefer prototypical in its paint scheme?  (Or were they all red/yellow in the 20's/30's?)

Thanks,
Jeff.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Keith Hayes
Jeff, I recall Derrell did an extensive serial on this very subject.  I recall it is on the main page.  Look for it in the index.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jeff Young
Thanks, Keith.  I found some interesting bits here: 


and here:


and here:

http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.ie/2014/02/1927-reefers-not-what-you-expected.html.

Sadly, turns out to not be a simple question at all. :(

Cheers,
Jeff.


On 28 Jun 2015, at 04:16, Keith Hayes [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff, I recall Derrell did an extensive serial on this very subject.  I recall it is on the main page.  Look for it in the index.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/MTL-C-S-boxcar-red-reefer-prototypical-tp2685p2687.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Keith Hayes
But you got your answer,  no? And straight from the horses mouth,  I will add.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jim Courtney
In reply to this post by Jeff Young
Jeff,

Yes, it isn't clear.

The notion that C&S reefers where painted boxcar red in the 19teens and 1920s comes from a single 1929 B&W photo at Alma; a reefer in a sting of other freight cars has a similar B&W tonal quality as the known freight car red cars, though the reporting marks appear black.

Derrels discussion, using his models, basically notes that a yellow reefer, photographed in B&W, depending on the light and background, may appear similar to known boxcar red freight cars.  I was convinced, my reefers will all be yellow.

I don't think you could be falted for choosing the opposite interpretation.

Jim
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jeff Young
I also found Derrell’s argument reasonably convincing.

Then again, I happen to have a red car, and since there’s no conclusive evidence I think I’ll keep it for now.  (There are other “issues”, such as running Chili Line cars over Marshall Pass, that are more pressing.)

Cheers,
Jeff.


On 28 Jun 2015, at 16:39, Jim Courtney [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff,

Yes, it isn't clear.

The notion that C&S reefers where painted boxcar red in the 19teens and 1920s comes from a single 1929 B&W photo at Alma; a reefer in a sting of other freight cars has a similar B&W tonal quality as the known freight car red cars, though the reporting marks appear black.

Derrels discussion, using his models, basically notes that a yellow reefer, photographed in B&W, depending on the light and background, may appear similar to known boxcar red freight cars.  I was convinced, my reefers will all be yellow.

I don't think you could be falted for choosing the opposite interpretation.

Jim
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/MTL-C-S-boxcar-red-reefer-prototypical-tp2685p2691.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jim Courtney
What's a tiny bay window on a coach in the greater scheme of things?
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jeff Young
He he… well there’s also the Flying Grande logo on some of the other rolling stock — which means the Shavano is running over Marshall pass and the passenger cars should be vestibuled, with a generator on the baggage car.

Can’t quite decide whether to swap out the Flying Grande stuff, swap the Chili Line cars for Shavano cars, or simply retort “it’s my railroad”. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.


On 28 Jun 2015, at 22:05, Jim Courtney [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

What's a tiny bay window on a coach in the greater scheme of things?
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/MTL-C-S-boxcar-red-reefer-prototypical-tp2685p2693.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTL C&S boxcar-red reefer prototypical?

Jeff Young
In reply to this post by Jim Courtney
Oh, and a great big thank-you to Derrell for writing up the various blog postings.  Very informative (even if they didn’t provide the easy yes/no I was looking for).

Cheers,
Jeff.