Leadville Depot

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Jeff Young
Looking good, Keith!  I’ve been around that sand/fit/repeat loop too many times to count. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Jim Courtney
The depot is coming along nicely, Keith!

Seems to be drawing quite the crowd of admirers, too.
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Don Gustavson II
Looking good. Makes me want to start packing my bags and start heading down to the depot.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Keith Hayes
Chimney mock up.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Keith Hayes
It has bern a productive weekend working on the depot. I was able to finish the chimneys :

The Monster brick was a bit fussy to work with,  but the results are good.

I also installed the hip flashing (This is a highly detailed roof--UP really came through for Leadville!). And, thank goodness I had just enough Grandt ridge trim from a couple Grandt bag purchases.

The project is coming together nicely. The corners remain to be glazed and installed. I have an order in to Wild West for shingles. Some touch up paint, and the shingles--oh, and the appropriate Express Company sign--and we will call this project done!
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Lee Gustafson
Jeff,

Beautiful, clean work. It's all impressive but I must admit the brick work on the chimney does indeed catch my eye. I've always found my eye goes to the roof of a model building and on my own structures I struggle to"get them right". I admire your work. You "got it right".

Lee Gustafson

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

I intended to type Keith! My apologies to Keith and Jeff.

Lee Gustafson

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Bill Uffelman
Excellent modeling!

Bill Uffelman

On Sunday, April 2, 2017, 2:10:58 PM EDT, Keith Hayes [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
It has bern a productive weekend working on the depot. I was able to finish the chimneys :

The Monster brick was a bit fussy to work with,  but the results are good.

I also installed the hip flashing (This is a highly detailed roof--UP really came through for Leadville!). And, thank goodness I had just enough Grandt ridge trim from a couple Grandt bag purchases.

The project is coming together nicely. The corners remain to be glazed and installed. I have an order in to Wild West for shingles. Some touch up paint, and the shingles--oh, and the appropriate Express Company sign--and we will call this project done!
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Leadville-Depot-tp1936p8052.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Jeff Young
Looking good, Keith!

I picked up some of that Monster brick, but I haven’t tried it out yet.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Keith Hayes
Looking more like the real thing all the time.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Paul R.
Keith,
That looks excellent. Paul R.

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

The station is progressing nicely. The roof looks great and the complexity of roof angles adds to the challenge of the job you have done so well. The roof of a model is a critical focal point and your work highlights a beatiful model.

Lee Gustafson

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Keith Hayes
Thank you all.

Shingles are a more challenging feature to model than I think most of us give credit for. I thought a while regarding which brand to use. I have some Wild West product on my layout on other buildings and while they went on quickly they have a 'look' to them. Studying the photos, the original seemed to be a cedar roof and, after some reflection, I went for Wild West. They are paper so are easy to cut, which is key as there are lots (way too many) small pieces.

I will be glad to have this project complete and move on to the freight house.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Jeff Young
Hi Keith,

Part of the Wild West "look" is that they're very high (too high?) contrast.

That being said, it's a lot easier to reduce contrast with grey and/or brown washes, then it is to increase contrast (for instance, on Campbells shingles), so I still use the Wild West ones.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: The Leadville Depot gets a roof

Keith Hayes
Jusy..a...few...shingles...left....

(And the sign boards, and the clothes line, and the meter and the electrical service....)
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3