I have decided to take on the C&S depot. I got some Monster Model works brick sheet, and thought to do a test wall while I wait for some paint to dry.
I purchased some "aged American bond" and three tier lintles.
The lintles are almost the proper radius, at least within an inch or two. The issue is that the depot has triple jack arches and the part has alternating full bricks. Also the aged brick is rather rough for the rather sharp bricks the UP used. Also, it appears that the brick are not quite to scale. They are close in height (3 courses = 8"), but too long (2 1/2 brick = 24", where 3 should).
The lintles were easy to cut in, but again, Monster made the edge ragged where the depot is in surprisingly good shape.
I think I will try making the windows as a 3d print (no, I have not forgotten you, Mr. Trent). Next I will experiment making the stone water course and lintle blocks from styrene.
I gave the wall a spray of Krylon primer and didn't shake the can enough, so got some splouge on the wall. I will give it a sanding before I move on.
Mike, thanks for your kind words. Considering it is a standing structure, it s a neat little depot that would fit well on just about any line (I wonder if it is a UP standard design?).
A while back George Sebastian Coleman posted some images of a model which I believe was built to illustrate styrene construction techniques for an article in MR. I cannot recall if George built the model or he acquired it from someone else. George's model is in On3, and was not complete in the photos. George, care to post some images of the model here?
Like many buildings of the era, the Leadville Depot has a simple form with complex details:
The dormers in particular will be a challenge, what with all that shingle work.
As I suspected, the brick is all running bond. I may order some of that from Monster as I progress. Also, I ordered 1/32" baswood and may try 1/8" instead. I got some aircraft plywood for backing, but all the pieces I have found locally are warped. Plus, I think the plywood may be more difficult to cut. We shall see.
And now there are more brackets to build. I just finished modeling the Freight House brackets in 3D.
Here are the 2d windows and doors ready to be extruded into the third dimension:
This is getting more real all the time.
Eric and Marc Lundberg measured the building in the 80s, and I thought that Mark created the drawings, though Allen J. Brewster's initials are on the copy I have. The drawings do not show the brackets, which I also need to model in 3d. Making the windows, I wonder if I also should model the whole truss piece over the dormer, along with the sunrise pattern in the porkchops? And then there are some small corbels too.
The good thing about this depot is that it is highly repetitive. The large window is used 16 times, the man door is used 4 times, and the two freight doors are identical save for the broader opening on the track (east) side. If only all four dormers were the same!
I suspect the folks in Morrison are using chains as mud chains, not snow chains. (See also the comments under Roper’s post to the same effect.)
I took another look at the Leadville water truck shot to see if maybe it was a summer shot (and they were spraying for dust control), but there’s definitely snow on the ground and on the boardwalk in front of the building. So that one’s still a mystery.
Chris’ last shot (of the Kohler-McLister delivery truck) is also interesting. Kohler-McLister supplied paint to (at least) the D&RGW.
On 27 May 2015, at 11:18, Chris Walker [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wonder if that could be road oil. Seems odd to be spreading it in the dead of winter but "de-icer" doesn't seem logical even in Leadville. I don't think Harrison was paved until much later and there would be no reason to de-ice a dirt road.
Great truck though. Begging to be modelled no matter what goop its spreading.
Now that I am back from vacation, it is time to get to work on the railroad.
I figured out the issue with most of the depot parts and Shapeways printed them while I was gone.
This time, I modeled the parts full size and then reduced them to scale. This works far better, and the details seem more crisp. If anything, some of the recesses are too fine. Next time I may increase the offsets to create a more pronounced shadow at scale.
The parts are now primed, so it is easier to assess the quality. The doors have a visible grain to them, and otherwise came out fine. I thought to add the escutcheon to the man door and it rendered nicely. I also included a hole for the door knob.
The dormer windows printed the best. The muntins are much crisper than on the mill windows. There is also some grain, but this will not be visible when operating.
I bet you have all been waiting for me to start this project.
I realized I had not made the roof brackets, so created the 3d models and had them printed a few weeks ago. The box came today, along with the revised cattle guard and the remainder of the Freight Depot roof brackets.
No excuses now. I guess I had best get started.
(I will continue to post progress under this string--my apologies!)