Doings in Billings

Darel Leedy
Administrator
In my Sn3 collection is one of those side dump cars Derrell mentions, which I believe was scratch-built by Jan Rons (?). I may be mistaken who built it (it was one of the artists), but I think it also took first place at one of the Symposiums. Here are some pictures:

Re: Doings in Billings

Derrell Poole
On3 Side Dump Coal - 1990

This was the 1990 Rocky Mountain Regional NMRA Convention (Idaho Springs, CO) Best in Show Winner, the first model of these cars I know of. Past "glories" I guess. But is shows how the doors worked.

If you have the Aug. 1991 issue of MR there ts a full article on the model along with a drawing.

Re: Doings in Billings

Darel Leedy
Administrator
On3 Brother d? Very nice! What happened to it?
Dougie built one in 1/2" also I believe.

Re: Doings in Billings

Derrell Poole
Nice model D. Both you and Big D have built these cars. Doug built one in 1/2 scale - outstanding model. Of Course, Bob Stears has built a master for such cars in 1/4 for the Cimarron works line. And Theo Berlyn imported a fair model from Korea (wood and brass) several years ago. I hope to getting around to doing a couple in Sn3. Eric Brocker offers a kit in HOn3 iirc thru Rio Grande Models. Harry Brunk built several HOn3 cars for the Union Central and Northern. Others should pipe up and show us pich-chers too.

Re: Doings in Billings

Derrell Poole
What happened to it? Some lame-brain sold it. That's what happened. I have no idea where it is...

Re: Doings in Billings

Doug Heitkamp
The last I knew of, Derrell's car was in Boston, then sold to somebody in Canada?

The car I built in 1/2" scale is still sitting on a shelf at my houseā€¦.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Doings in Billings

Derrell Poole
You know, Big D, this car reeeeeeally needs a layout under it...

Re: Doings in Billings

Darel Leedy
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yeah. What little d says.

Re: Doings in Billings

Doug Heitkamp
Brother D,

What, build a layout? That's a great idea!

On a related note, take a look at these Santa Fe Rwy. Std. Gauge cars. Look familiar?

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Doings in Billings

Derrell Poole
Great minds think alike. Who wants to bet on which predated which? At the time the C&Sng side dumps were "built" the Sante Fe and C&S were best "bed buddies"...

Re: Doings in Billings

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Looks like you just have to swap out the lettering and you'll have your first piece of rolling stock for your 1:29 layout Doug.
That is a beautiful model by the way.