Como esta usted?

John Schapekahm
This year, on my way in toward making my annual stop to pay homage at the Como Eating House Hotel – Depot – Engine House shrines to the DSP&P, the DL&G and the C&S, I was suddenly inspired to consider knocking on the Eating House Hotel door and saying ‘hi’ to our prolific C&Sn3 blog contributor and valued friend, ComoDepot,* should he chance to be around. He did indeed open the door, I introduced myself, and, after some preliminary pleasantries, he asked if I would like to see the engine house and depot. I wasted no time in accepting the invitation.** And so, he graciously spent the next two hours showing me the engine house and depot, inside and out, and showering me with continuous streams of information and insights.  Following [in several installments] are a “few” of the pictures I snapped in the course of our tour.

_________________________________
* I actually do know his name, but as I write this, I am unsure whether he would want me to share it?
** Now, in retrospect, I hasten to discourage anyone else from trying to replicate my experience, since ComoDepot has a myriad of duties and responsibilities that interfere with him entertaining visitors and playing tour guide at the drop of a hat – he is obviously happy to show people around when he can, but I’m certain he would greatly prefer being contacted in advance to arrange a mutually convenient date and time. I am pretty sure I interrupted his afternoon plans.

the Great Outdoors

John Schapekahm

and Jake - Guard Burro

On Our Way

John Schapekahm

The Pit and the Excavation (with apologies to Poe)

John Schapekahm

CD pointed out the wood grain left by wood insert on wet cement

treasures left behind in the dismantling

a view from the pit no engineer would enjoy

ComoDepot Himself - with Shadow

John Schapekahm

Inside Job (“and then some,” as Tom Klinger would say)

John Schapekahm

A Ticket to Gunnison, please

John Schapekahm

Epilogue

John Schapekahm
Try as I may
Try as I might
I couldn’t coax Portia
Toward Boreas that night

Re: Epilogue

South Park
  I was last in Como in 2003.  I got permission to poke around the property.
The depot was a crumbling mess, but much was unmolested and it was so
cool to see it in its undisturbed state.  Hard to believe how far it has come
since then.  Had I lived in the area, I would have jumped on the opportunity
to do the work, being in the business.  Thanks for the pix, John.
"Duty above all else except Honor"

Re: Como esta usted?

Jeff Young
Thanks for the pictures, John.  Looks like Shadow is getting his winter coat in!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Como esta usted?

Don Gustavson II
Very nice pictures. Thanks.
Turntable is all cleaned out. :)
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.

Re: Como esta usted?

ComoDepot
It is David, Shadow has been identified. He tends to get more mention than I do. Obviously I had not shaved for sometime...

The Turntable is a long story, I am hoping plans will be drawn up and things will happen next year. We are looking to finish the track from the Depot to the Turntable next Summer.

To just follow up, we have yet to work out how to have the Depot open on a regular basis, so pot luck or better contact me in advance and hopefully we can sort something out.

I do have access to the Roundhouse, but that obviously takes more time. The owners live in Denver and do come up occasionally but as with the Depot apart from Railroad Day having it open is tricky.

Re: Como esta usted?

ComoDepot
My Italian is rustier than my Spanish, but Como has an Italian origin. There were 20 or so Italian Coal miners here, well just north of current Como, in 1879 and we assume the Railroad pinched the name of their encampment for the new town.

I have been to Lago di Como and we look nothing like that area.

Re: Como esta usted?

John Schapekahm
ComoDepot wrote
My Italian is rustier than my Spanish, but Como has an Italian origin.
Yes, David, I wholeheartedly agree = Como most certainly takes its derivation from the Italian. Indeed, the Bitterroot Valley, south of my boyhood stomping grounds in Hamilton, up Montana way, has a Lake Como, celebrating also the famous Italian Lake. The word Como has no independent meaning in Italian that I am aware of. So, in an excess of misplaced “cleverness,” I adopted the Spanish phrase “Como esta usted” instead, meaning roughly “[hi] how are you?” - - - sort of like what I said when you opened the door to the Hotel Eating House after I knocked. Sorry to amuse myself at everyone else’s expense …

Re: Como esta usted?

ComoDepot
It was more for others, going to have to have a think but there were a lot of Italians in the Rockies, but not many Italian named towns...