Cabooses-Differences between them

snapped_bolt

   Hi,

      Now that I am filing away at another Grandt Line On3 caboose kit- what are the differences between them (other than number)?
  Since the kits were not made in the "unibody" style, it is much easier to make the changes to the wall panels while they are apart and on the bench.
      I have the 1006 waiting for the interior kit - but, like many things we must have, I must have more than one. Who can stop at just one?!? But I can't just make a half dozen or so "cookie cutter" cabooses!

      Thanks!

        Stan

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

Keith Hayes
Stan, I suggest you search on Bothell the main page and the forum the word 'caboose,' 'wway car,' and by car numbers. We have discussed these cars a lot. Look at the folio in the files section, too.

It has been a while, and I know less about 1006, but it is a shorter body. Some cabeese had longer bodies (1000, 1009), some had shorter bodies (1005, 1008). Corners and windows varied. One car had the cupola in the middle of the car, and one likely had four (!) axles. 1003 and 1006 seem to have been used more up Clear Creek and the others in South Park. Consider adding a Sound Car and markers.

Happy reading and happy modeling!
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

snapped_bolt

   Hi Keith-

    Search on Bothell? Can't find the site!
    I know from here there are at least 4 changes that are also visible. Some smaller details (such as rot inside timbers, actual alloys used in castings) are a little more than I can do.
    The sound car option sounds interesting, I will probably install them along with markers.
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone illuminated the kerosene lamp? I don't plan on "night" operations, but not every job got done before dark. Neglecting the lights on the caboose is as good as a FRED on the rear!

       Cheers

          Stan

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

Darel Leedy
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Stan,

I think what Keith was trying to say was "search on both the main page and the forum the word 'caboose,' 'way car,' and by car numbers.
There is a search button on the top of the home page of this forum and also the C&Sn3 home page. This topic has been discussed many times and there is a lot great information available.

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

Chris Walker
Stan,

any Caboose thread search should start with this epic thread .....

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Eight-wheel-Caboose-on-C-Sng-tp488.html
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

snapped_bolt

Hi Chris,

    Nice theories, interesting reading, but really nothing specific- apparently there is going to be some "modeler's license" on this.
    Now I don't plan on framing the walls, etc., I can't even find info on as-built carpenter's markings on the wood pieces before assembly!
    I will be compelled to go at it the old-fashioned way-

    Within an inch or two, which cabooses were close matches?
    Which cabooses can be built with the On3 Grandt Line kit (C&S 1006)  as a basis? I imagine all of the final iterations of these cabooses can be based on this kit, but let's start with the simple ones!

      Some dimensioned drawings would be nice. Any scale. Or the location(s) of such. Does such an animal exist?

      On the subject of Soundcar installation- size of electronics- Really? Difficult-to-conceal?
       We have been putting sound into greeting cards for years. Itsy-bits bits! What's the problem here?

           Any help appreciated!

           Cheers

            Stan

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Hi Stan,

The caboose folio drawings were provided by Jim Courtney and are posted in the "Files" section of the blog: C&Sn3 Files

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

Jim Courtney
Short answer Stan,

1006 and 1007 were twins, likely rebuilt about the same time. Number 1007 had "wraparound" roof walks, lateral walks and cupola toe boards below the outside windows.

1005 and 1008 were also twins, but the bodies were taller than 1006, and had square, single pane, side windows placed asymmetrically on the two sides. You'd need to build new ends and sides to use with the 1006 kit.

The three known long body cars were 1000, 1003 and 1009. They varied in minor details, like end beams, fascia boards, corners and grab irons on the cupola roof. You might be able to use the ends from the 1006 kit, but would have to stretch the underframe, build new sides.

1002 was a center cupola caboose in a class by itself.

More info is available in the discussions of John Greenly's thread, "The caboose that never was"

Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA

Re: Cabooses-Differences between them

snapped_bolt

 THANK YOU Jim!!!

    The first step is determining basic differences between the cars. Next step is to find what information is out there for the specific differences- which may be no more than determining these from available photographs.
    I have problems with "modeler's license".... because those licenses vary based on personal perception and preference. To me, it's like grabbing fistfuls of wind. But in the case of the C&S- so much was lost before they closed shop, there isn't much choice.
    Now I would like to find the best sources of photographic "facts". This forum has been so full of information, I can almost "force" myself into building straight from here! However, I would like to dig deeper to save myself from the urge to "re-do" a model.

      Thanks again!

         Stan

Re: Cabooses-Soundcar

Keith Hayes
This post was updated on .
Stan, I will try to photograph the parts relative to my On3 Grandt Line model. The Soundcar is the largest part, and now with sugar cube speakers, I think you could fit everything in there with some careful work. I need to tweak the sound volume on my installs: it is nice to hear the click-click-squeal as the end of the train passes by.

It would be nice if Soundtraxx could engineer a chip that had the speaker installed on the back of the chip with a small keep-alive all as one piece. Seems like they could get this to be about the size of a caboose locker in 1:64, and it would fit inside the locker in 1:48. While I am wishing, it would be nice to get Soundtraxx to add an "All ABOARD" sound clip for my RPO install.

If you look in my threads, I also found some really small LEDs and you can install markers (or if you model those other NG lines, you can add the signal lamp atop the coupola), or you could light up the oil lamp on the conductors desk in your Grandt model. All opportunities for animation, real operation and adding interest to the end of the train.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: Cabooses-Soundcar

snapped_bolt

   Hi Keith

     This is On3? I was hoping it was Sn3...didn't realize the unit was so.....large!
     It would be nice it the "clickety-clack" was generated by an impulse from the wheels going over the joints themselves- perhaps generated by an impulse of some type.
     Appears to be a problem if the interior is installed. I like interiors...bu the time you get up to On3, you don't have to strain to see the interior, so you had better do something. I'm still working on figuring out the kerosene lamp in the kit- where does it go (I would imagine above the desk) and how to light it.
     Markers- this will be a permanent installation in On3? I am wondering- I would like to switch ends, but keeping them on one end may pay off in the little things getting misplaced. Who makes an appropriate marker light?

       Thanks!

          Stan

Re: Cabooses-Soundcar

Keith Hayes
Stan, that is an On3 caboose.

I suggest sticking the Soundcar to the underside of the roof. The Keep alive can fit into the closet. The speaker is a 1" speaker I got for my RPO: you can get a sugar cube speaker that is the size of the keep alive (they are really the size of a sugar cube).

Yes the lamp goes over the desk.

The markers have to be hard wired. Mine live forever on one end. It is a compromise I am willing to make.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3

Re: Cabooses-Soundcar

snapped_bolt

  Hi Keith-

     Thanks for the info! The markers will be stuck on one end. This should turn out well.

     But I don't like wiring!

         Cheers!

           Stan

Re: Cabooses-Soundcar

Keith Hayes
Stan, I am not fond of wiring either, and my C&S waycar fleet lacks interior details, so I don't have to be neat.

This is all little d's fault. He started it.
Keith Hayes
Leadville in Sn3