C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
I'm looking at going there with my modeling...some where in that timeframe.
I have a couple questions and I believe we have some On3 expertise far beyond mine here on the forum.
So, I would appreciate your thoughts, experiences and input.
The Gilpin would likely be included in my plans too.

First question is the availability of motive power for that era. From the little that I know Overland seemed to produce several 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 models in the mid 1980s. It seems the quantities were pretty limited, 25-50 each. There seem to be a lot more number 9 moguls to hit the used market than most others. So, is acquiring a few of these models going to be possible over the next few years? Am I just not looking in the right places? Does more On3 stuff show up at the NNGC than most other places?

I'm also assuming that the models will need to be backdated to that era too. I'm fine with that. It looks like the most work might be in possibly backdating tenders. The earlier tenders seem to more in the style of the 2-6-0 from Bachmann in On30. Speaking of which is it worthwhile to convert that Bachmann model to On3? I understand Grandt offers some frame parts to do the conversion.
I have seen the early shay from Bachmann converted to On3 but I am wondering if anyone has converted one to On2?

There seems to be a fair selection of freight cars available to get started. I would expect a roster of 30-50 On3 cars over time. Maybe 20 for the Gilpin, mainly the ore cars from Grandt. My question comes down to what people use for couplers in On3. I have tried Kadee. Do people prefer those or something else like San Juan Sharon or Evolution? I would want something that can be used in switching operations.

Are the resin passenger kits from Wiseman accurate or should one look for brass passenger cars? Who offers correct freight car trucks? Are they readily available or should one stock up when they are available?

Are the old Trains of Texas structure kits worth looking for or are they simply too hard to locate? It seems like they offered some interesting C&S related structures.

Thanks for your input,

Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Jim Courtney
This post was updated on .
Just some thoughts, Todd.

Overland brought in small runs in On3 of just about every C&S locomotive that they imported in Sn3.  The only period locomotive for 1900-1915 was number 5: https://brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/30538/On3-Steam-Colorado-Southern-2-6-0-5  Not sure if they brought in the early version of Brooks rebuild #21 or 22, though.

Overland also imported coaches 70 and 73-76. but not the RPO 13: https://brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/30408/On3-Passenger-Colorado-Southern-COACH

I believe that PSC imported On3 models of the Rhode Island 2-8-0s (? 57, 58 and 60), with at least one being a mid to late teens version (57?). Their On3 parts catalog list a fair number of parts for these imports, including the early 1900-1920 wood slat pilot, that could be mounted to either wood or steel pilot beams.

You might also consider some laser kits, designed for modifying Bachman On30 coaches to DSP&P coaches that could be used for early C&S, specifically the coach 3 & 5 kit:  http://www.deerfieldriverlaser.com/SouthParkCarsSides.html

And I just happened to notice this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-C-S-Side-Dump-Cinder-Car-04060-BERLYN-L-W-Inc-/222275362696?hash=item33c0a4df88:g:LzkAAOSwh2xX-V-c

Mike Trent is likely most knowledgeable of what's available in On3.

I'm also curious what Bob Stears has used to build an On3 locomotive roster to pull that huge fleet of TOTC C&S freight cars that he is building.

Jim
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
Thanks for sharing Jim. I did own a Overland Sn3 60 for a few years, but sold it maybe 6-8 years ago.
I looked at buying an On3 9 back in the early 1990s, but ended up not jumping into it. It seemed like a very nice model.

I did see that PSC did do some models in On3 too. Never have really looked at any of their models up close.

C&S passenger cars I know virtually nothing about. I do recall that Mary Miller had an article in MR a while back about building a combine IIRC. The new book on the passenger cars might be a purchase worth having for sure.

Best,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Jim Courtney
Who offers correct freight car trucks? Are they readily available or should one stock up when they are available?

I wasn't sure, but checking their site, San Juan Car Co still offers kits for the 1908 (phase 2) boxcar with Bettendorf trucks.  This could be converted to one of the 1907 (phase 1) boxcars with some minor changes (I'm converting a couple of Sn3 PVC phase 2 boxcar kits into phase 1 cars). San Juan also offers correct 4' 0" wheel base arch bar trucks (ASF style) as used on the 1900 stock cars, 1902 coal cars and flats and the 1907 phase 1 boxcars.

San Juan also offers On3 Bettendorf style trucks as an alternative to the Grandt trucks. http://www.sanjuancarco.com/on3-model-train-kits/

As for tender trucks, Coronado Models may still have the 20 ton Peninsular trucks, the so called DSP&P type B trucks.  These could be used for surviving 30 foot Peninsular boxcars, coal cars and flats, as quite a few were still in service until the mid teens.  

These trucks would also be appropriate under back dated C&S locomotives other than the Cookes, as the Rhode Island and Baldwin 2-8-0 used these trucks until the 1910-1915 period:










We haven't discussed tender trucks that I can recall. What we think of as the "standard" C&S tender truck, with invaginated leaf springs, first showed up when the Cooke 2-6-0s and 2-8-0s were delivered in 1884. They may have been a UP standard design of the time or perhaps an exclusive Cooke design.

The Rhode Island 2-8-0s from the U&N and the subsequent two classes of Baldwins delivered in the 1890s, seem to have had the Peninsular style 20 ton trucks as a UP narrow gauge standard:


Trucks under Baldwin 191 at Colorado Railroad Museum

By the mid teens, most of the Cooke 2-8-0s were removed from service, scrapped or stored for parts. It is my suspicion that the "Cooke" tender trucks were felt to be heavier or more sturdy, and were used to replace the 20 ton style of truck under the tenders of the larger locomotives. Anyone know for sure?
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Robert Stears
I had produced C&S St. Charles freight trucks with injected molded Delron many years ago in On3 and Sn3. These are the correct trucks for the St. Charles reefers, boxcars, stock cars and coal cars. I believe The Leadville Shops still has some in stock in both scales. I sold the molds for these trucks to San Juan Car Co. many years ago but I don't know if they ever produced them. Check with Doug Junda for availability at The Leadville Shops.

I don't have any extra of these trucks as they are an essential component in completing my fleet of On3 early C&S rolling stock - and putting to rest my "St. Charles problem"*

*a quote from brother Derrell Poole in describing my obsession with early C&S freight equipment.

Best Regards,
Bob



Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 10, 2016, at 10:27 PM, Jim Courtney [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Who offers correct freight car trucks? Are they readily available or should one stock up when they are available?

I wasn't sure, but checking their site, San Juan Car Co still offers kits for the 1908 (phase 2) boxcar with Bettendorf trucks.  This could be converted to one of the 1907 (phase 1) boxcars with some minor changes (I'm converting a couple of Sn3 PVC phase 2 boxcar kits into phase 1 cars). San Juan also offers correct 4' 0" wheel base arch bar trucks (ASF style) as used on the 1900 stock cars, 1902 coal cars and flats and the 1907 phase 1 boxcars.

San Juan also offers On3 Bettandorf style trucks as an alternative to the Grandt trucks. http://www.sanjuancarco.com/on3-model-train-kits/

As for tender trucks, Coronado Models may still have the 20 ton Peninsular trucks, the so called DSP&P type B trucks.  These could be used for surviving 30 foot Peninsular boxcars, coal cars and flats, as quite a few were still in service until the mid teens.  

These trucks would also be appropriate under back dated C&S locomotives other than the Cookes, as the Rhode Island and Baldwin 2-8-0 used these trucks until the 1910-1915 period:










We haven't discussed tender trucks that I can recall. What we think of as the "standard" C&S tender truck, with invaginated leaf springs, first showed up when the Cooke 2-6-0s and 2-8-0s were delivered in 1884. They may have been a UP standard design of the time or perhaps an exclusive Cooke design.

The Rhode Island 2-8-0s from the U&N and the subsequent two classes of Baldwins delivered in the 1890s, seem to have had the Peninsular style 20 ton trucks as a UP narrow gauge standard:


Trucks under Baldwin 191 at Colorado Railroad Museum

By the mid teens, most of the Cooke 2-8-0s were removed from service, scrapped or stored for parts. It is my suspicion that the "Cooke" tender trucks were felt to be heavier or more sturdy, and were used to replace the 20 ton style of truck under the tenders of the larger locomotives. Anyone know for sure?
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-1900-to-1915-in-On3-tp6523p6542.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Jim Courtney
Bob,

What On3 locomotives are you using for your roster?

Jim
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Jim Courtney
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Todd A Ferguson
Are the resin passenger kits from Wiseman accurate or should one look for brass passenger cars?

Todd,

I had forgotten to mention that Bobbie Hall of Hallmark Models imported an On3 brass model of one of the C&S business cars: http://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-BRASS-HALL-DENVER-RIO-GRANDE-WESTERN-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-BUSINESS-CAR-911a-/201677471758?hash=item2ef4ea000e:g:itsAAOSwLF1X6fBO

From time to time I've been tempted to build C&S models in O scale, but was always dissuaded by the space needed to build a layout. Not even sure that I will have adequate room for an Sn3 layout. Jeff may be on to something with his beautiful work in HOn3.

Jim
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Robert McFarland
In reply to this post by Jim Courtney
Derrell Poole backdated  some locos in Sn3,and could probably help you with backdating projects.Are you a member of DSP&P Historical Society?They have aback issue CD available of their magazine Bogies and the Loop that has valuable modeling info.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
Robert,

No, but I am going to join and get the back issues.
I need to get that done soon...

Best,
Todd

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 12, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Robert McFarland [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Derrell Poole backdated  some locos in Sn3,and could probably help you with backdating projects.Are you a member of DSP&P Historical Society?They have aback issue CD available of their magazine Bogies and the Loop that has valuable modeling info.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-1900-to-1915-in-On3-tp6523p6555.html
To unsubscribe from C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

El Gringo Grande
In reply to this post by Todd A Ferguson
Hello Todd,

A few thoughts:

The Wiseman models (the old Star kits) are good models, and as a bonus the resin is not nearly as stinky as the old Star ones were...I have a No. 70 kit in the garage that Sam molded 25-30 years ago and it STILL stinks.

The Bachmann mogul is pretty solid and a fairly easy conversion to On3. "Worthwhile" is a value judgement...kinda depends on what you are willing to put into it VS what you could end up with. At a minimum, they could make pretty worthy stand-ins, while you hunt down some of the Overland and PSC brass models.

Bob Stears' former 4' archbar trucks are indeed still available from San Juan Car Co.

I have gone round and round on the couple issue myself. I like the San Juans for their superior appearance, but operation is simply not as reliable as with the Kadees. If you plan on doing occasion switching and your reach is below 12" then the San Juan couplers are great. If you want to do a bunch of switching, then you really have no choice but to use Kadees.

Re: the No. 911 brass car from Hallmark. Be advised that the two side are not even. The belt rail and windows hit at different spots. It isn't hugely obvious unless you are looking directly through the car or from the ends, but it is there. Apparently, Pruitt's drawing was that way and the Koreans following it faithfully. Interestingly, that same sort of thing appears on the Bachmann mogul. Gebhart's engineer's side drawing showed the air compressor on the fireman's side as dashed lines, and the Chinese interpreted the governor on top as two nipples...

Chris Lane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Robert Stears
Todd,
Apologies for not writing sooner. The day job has been a nuisance lately.

I would add the BLI On30 2-8-0 C-16 to the list. Grandt line has a conversion kit for this model to bring it to On3. However, keeping it On30 and doing a "proto On30 model" also has advantages, but that is a different topic.

The BLI C-16 is a rather rough model detail wise but at about $200 with sound and lights, I don't feel to bad getting after it with a razor saw. I have seen Santa train versions of this model (with the same drive, sound and lights) go for less than half the price. What you are really buying with this model is the drive train/ frame, lights, sound system, boiler shell and tender frame. The rest is scrap.

As Chris said, it is relative - how much time you want to put into such a model versus the result. Of course, such a plastic model will not have much financial value once it has been modified, but the same can be said about a modified OMI or PSC brass model. Add in the satisfaction and skills acquired in such a project - not to mention the fun and it may make sense.

Another more price sensitive choice is the On3 C-16 styrene kit San Juan offered many years ago. They  are very rare but occasionally pop up at swap meets, etc. mint kits go for about $800. Partially started kits go for much much less. I am converting two of them into C&S #44 and #47 c.1905. While a styrene engine is definitely against the grain of the brass locomotive tradition, I don' care; especially if it runs well, looks great, turns heads and most importantly makes me happy.

I have a small fleet of PSC and OMI On3 engines with #68 and #73 (1930 configuration) currently running on the crappy little shelf layout I have in my shop.

While the OMI engines are nice (I have number 70, 71, 72, 9 And 8), I prefer the PSC On3 engines. The PSC 57, 58 and 60 are ideal targets for back dating - especially 57 with its old style flavored top tender. Probably the hardest to find is the PSC C&S #57. If you find one, grab it. The sticker shock however will make this model definitely one you will have to sneak into the house.

In terms of passenger cars, Chris is certainly right about the Hallmark #911. What a mess. It's only value is in the detail parts.

The OMI coaches are nice but heavy. Members of this blog have posted ways to upgrade the Sn3 versions into sweat running models. 

I have been combing the San Juan passenger car ends and roofs with laser cut/etched sides of Rowmark plastic that I then laminate together. The San Juan roofs are not perfect but the ends are close. In this way I have built up (but not completed yet) On3 coach 62, 77, RPO 12 and 13, business cars 911 and 910 and some Pullman Sleepers. Hopefully, I will have a post on this project up on this blog pretty soon - day job permitting.

Bob



Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 12, 2016, at 2:57 PM, El Gringo Grande [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Todd,

A few thoughts:

The Wiseman models (the old Star kits) are good models, and as a bonus the resin is not nearly as stinky as the old Star ones were...I have a No. 70 kit in the garage that Sam molded 25-30 years ago and it STILL stinks.

The Bachmann mogul is pretty solid and a fairly easy conversion to On3. "Worthwhile" is a value judgement...kinda depends on what you are willing to put into it VS what you could end up with. At a minimum, they could make pretty worthy stand-ins, while you hunt down some of the Overland and PSC brass models.

Bob Stears' former 4' archbar trucks are indeed still available from San Juan Car Co.

I have gone round and round on the couple issue myself. I like the San Juans for their superior appearance, but operation is simply not as reliable as with the Kadees. If you plan on doing occasion switching and your reach is below 12" then the San Juan couplers are great. If you want to do a bunch of switching, then you really have no choice but to use Kadees.

Re: the No. 911 brass car from Hallmark. Be advised that the two side are not even. The belt rail and windows hit at different spots. It isn't hugely obvious unless you are looking directly through the car or from the ends, but it is there. Apparently, Pruitt's drawing was that way and the Koreans following it faithfully. Interestingly, that same sort of thing appears on the Bachmann mogul. Gebhart's engineer's side drawing showed the air compressor on the fireman's side as dashed lines, and the Chinese interpreted the governor on top as two nipples...

Chris Lane


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-1900-to-1915-in-On3-tp6523p6557.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
Thanks for the thoughtful replies guys, it is appreciated. I understand that work must sometimes take the priority. It certainly has for me at times.  It sounds like there are some decent low cost options that can be used while searching for the brass models made so many years ago. I have been in Sn3 for about 25 years and have a number of PBL models so I don't think sticker shock will be an issue for me...lol. Beautiful models but probably among the most expensive narrow gauge models too.

As anyone used the PSC hybrid 2-8-0, C-19, as the basis of a modification?  What about the old Balboa models, are those decent starting points or more work than they are worth? I have worked with brass models since the late 1970s both remotoring,  regearing and redetailing them. But mainly in HO scale. So, I am very comfortable in working with either styrene or brass/metal.
I am well equipped with soldering tools and skills.

I have always thought it was a real shame that the manufacturers decided to go On30 rather than just do real On3 models. I just don't see where the costs would have been different. Track must have been the main issue but the HO track got replaced by On30 track anyway.  I mean what if Blackstone would have done all their HOn3 stuff to run on N scale track. Would have been about as crazy to me.

I was wondering if the San Juan passenger car parts were of any value in modeling C&S cars. Maybe we can discuss that topic more going forward. I have a laser machine from Universal. Have not used it for a while and last time I tried to fire it up it would not initialize. I need to call Universal and see what the issue might be. Hopefully an easy and inexpensive fix.

I also wrote CAD software and worked in early 3D printing technology. So I am familiar with solid modeling. Just have not bothered to get into SketchUp and play around. Seems like I have too many activities going on already at times. But I am getting more interested in trying it out. I have followed the many cool things that Jack Burgess has done with it in recent years...very neat stuff.
So, I am thinking it might be possible to design an earlier style C&S tender and 3D print it. The underframe could be 3D printed or built up from brass or styrene shapes. Tender underframes are pretty similar to freight car underframes in that era. And often not very detailed on many earlier brass locomotives.

Best,
Todd Ferguson 
Harrisburg, NC 

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 13, 2016, at 7:21 AM, Robert Stears [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Todd,
Apologies for not writing sooner. The day job has been a nuisance lately.

I would add the BLI On30 2-8-0 C-16 to the list. Grandt line has a conversion kit for this model to bring it to On3. However, keeping it On30 and doing a "proto On30 model" also has advantages, but that is a different topic.

The BLI C-16 is a rather rough model detail wise but at about $200 with sound and lights, I don't feel to bad getting after it with a razor saw. I have seen Santa train versions of this model (with the same drive, sound and lights) go for less than half the price. What you are really buying with this model is the drive train/ frame, lights, sound system, boiler shell and tender frame. The rest is scrap.

As Chris said, it is relative - how much time you want to put into such a model versus the result. Of course, such a plastic model will not have much financial value once it has been modified, but the same can be said about a modified OMI or PSC brass model. Add in the satisfaction and skills acquired in such a project - not to mention the fun and it may make sense.

Another more price sensitive choice is the On3 C-16 styrene kit San Juan offered many years ago. They  are very rare but occasionally pop up at swap meets, etc. mint kits go for about $800. Partially started kits go for much much less. I am converting two of them into C&S #44 and #47 c.1905. While a styrene engine is definitely against the grain of the brass locomotive tradition, I don' care; especially if it runs well, looks great, turns heads and most importantly makes me happy.

I have a small fleet of PSC and OMI On3 engines with #68 and #73 (1930 configuration) currently running on the crappy little shelf layout I have in my shop.

While the OMI engines are nice (I have number 70, 71, 72, 9 And 8), I prefer the PSC On3 engines. The PSC 57, 58 and 60 are ideal targets for back dating - especially 57 with its old style flavored top tender. Probably the hardest to find is the PSC C&S #57. If you find one, grab it. The sticker shock however will make this model definitely one you will have to sneak into the house.

In terms of passenger cars, Chris is certainly right about the Hallmark #911. What a mess. It's only value is in the detail parts.

The OMI coaches are nice but heavy. Members of this blog have posted ways to upgrade the Sn3 versions into sweat running models. 

I have been combing the San Juan passenger car ends and roofs with laser cut/etched sides of Rowmark plastic that I then laminate together. The San Juan roofs are not perfect but the ends are close. In this way I have built up (but not completed yet) On3 coach 62, 77, RPO 12 and 13, business cars 911 and 910 and some Pullman Sleepers. Hopefully, I will have a post on this project up on this blog pretty soon - day job permitting.

Bob



Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 12, 2016, at 2:57 PM, El Gringo Grande [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Todd,

A few thoughts:

The Wiseman models (the old Star kits) are good models, and as a bonus the resin is not nearly as stinky as the old Star ones were...I have a No. 70 kit in the garage that Sam molded 25-30 years ago and it STILL stinks.

The Bachmann mogul is pretty solid and a fairly easy conversion to On3. "Worthwhile" is a value judgement...kinda depends on what you are willing to put into it VS what you could end up with. At a minimum, they could make pretty worthy stand-ins, while you hunt down some of the Overland and PSC brass models.

Bob Stears' former 4' archbar trucks are indeed still available from San Juan Car Co.

I have gone round and round on the couple issue myself. I like the San Juans for their superior appearance, but operation is simply not as reliable as with the Kadees. If you plan on doing occasion switching and your reach is below 12" then the San Juan couplers are great. If you want to do a bunch of switching, then you really have no choice but to use Kadees.

Re: the No. 911 brass car from Hallmark. Be advised that the two side are not even. The belt rail and windows hit at different spots. It isn't hugely obvious unless you are looking directly through the car or from the ends, but it is there. Apparently, Pruitt's drawing was that way and the Koreans following it faithfully. Interestingly, that same sort of thing appears on the Bachmann mogul. Gebhart's engineer's side drawing showed the air compressor on the fireman's side as dashed lines, and the Chinese interpreted the governor on top as two nipples...

Chris Lane


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-1900-to-1915-in-On3-tp6523p6557.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-1900-to-1915-in-On3-tp6523p6558.html
To unsubscribe from C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Robert McFarland
Michael York of Cincinatti has a blog called THE SOUTH PARK LINE-(thesouthparkline.blogspot.com).He hasn't posted in awhile,but I'm sure he's still active as he has several DSP&P/C&S related 3-D printed items on Shapeways.Raising young kids and a growing interest in OahuR&L have kind of slowed his South Park activities a bit. A few years back he scratch built several DSP&P/CC passenger and freight cars from styrene and even had a resin kit available for one of them.He even experimented with styrene locomotive components,so do some research in his earlier blog posts.Bogies and Loop had an article on a large scale kitbash turning  a Bachmann 4-6-0 into a  C&S 2-8-0-would that work with regauging and bashing a Bachmann ET&WNC  4-6-0 in On3?Remember Andrew Dodge and Harry Brunk loco bashed DSP&P/C&S engines from other RR's brass or kit engines.Robert Stears RPO &Pullmans sound interesting.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
Thanks for all the input guys. It has been a big help!! But I still have tons and tons more to digest and learn.
That being the fact though I am moving forward.  I have acquired a few more On3 cars. A caboose and a number 5, 2-6-0 and number 60, 2-8-0. I'll probably pick up a few more car kits in the next couple months. I would like to either build or acquire a Gilpin shay and some of the Grandt Gilpin ore cars.

I probably should get an O scale structure or two so I can start to get a feel for the volume of O scale structures. Maybe building some buildings for Forks Creek would be a decent place to start.  Plan that to be one location on the layout. I probably need to pick up a few more books about the road. Any suggestions?

A couple more questions have come to mind...when did the locomotives get the steel cab sides? It seems it was between 1900 and 1910 from some of the photos I've looked at. Was this change part of the federal laws regarding safety upgrades? What year(s) did those safety improvements take place? Did the SUF gondolas come delivered in the circle herald scheme?  I need to pull out my Harry Brunk articles and start studying more.

Best,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Jim Courtney
This post was updated on .
When did the locomotives get the steel cab sides? It seems it was between 1900 and 1910 from some of the photos I've looked at.

The photo of C&S 70 that I posted above, is likely between 1091-1902.  It seems to me that most had steel sheathed cabs by the 1906 relettering. Grandt's Narrow Gauge Pictorial would likely answer your questions about specific locomotives--Derrell Poole lists in his text when the Safety Appliance Acts were enacted, what was required, and when compliance was due.

Or give me a list of the locomotives and dates that you're interested in and I'll see what photos I have.

Did the SUF gondolas come delivered in the circle herald scheme?

No, the SUF coal cars were delivered in 1910, in the C&S block scheme; the button scheme shows up about 1925.

Glad you found a number 5!
Jim Courtney
Poulsbo, WA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
Jim,

I have located my Grandt book on the C&S locomotives. I'll be spending some time with it over the next few days.
Unfortunately my Grandt book on C&S cars is still in hiding. But I'm sure I'll locate it before too long as I know most of the hiding places? I guess at the moment my interest is in the 5 and 60. Although they already painted. So, I won't likely dive into making major detail changes very soon. I would probably add DCC sound to them before any other changes, and I'm sure some serious research will be required too.

I thought that the round herald came later, so thanks for refreshing my memory on that one. Did Grandt ever make the SUF boxcar in On3 or is that one that needs to be built on their SUF kit? I'll have to look into the San Juan boxcar kit too. I did build one of their Rio Grande gondolas a few years ago for a change of pace. I also have a few of the C&S cars in Sn3. Perhaps some of my Sn3 stuff will get sold off to fund some more On3 items.

Best,
Todd
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Chris Walker
Don't forget about Derrells excellent articles http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.co.nz/2014/06/ropers-snapshot-saturday-no3.html in the http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.co.nz/p/index-of-blog-posts.html, he after all went to a lot of trouble to avail that to us.
UpSideDownC
in New Zealand
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Thanks for the reminder Chris. Derrell and others have unselfishly provided a wealth of information both here in the forum and on the blog.  Both of which have a powerful search tool which might lead to information previously covered.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

ShadowRock
In reply to this post by Todd A Ferguson
Hi Todd,
                   I have been to the Narrow Gauge Conventions and there has been a lot of Items show up.
I do have a C&S # 9 ( 2-6-0 ) in On3 I would be willing to sell . I also am modeling the C&S so as I find Items I try to buy them . If I do not need them , then I let them go .
                   Also there are the On3 & On30 Yahoo Groups . There is O scale Yard scale on the the Yahoo Groups . Many Modelers are starting to go to FaceBook for " O Scale Narrow Gauge "  and On30 group, then there is On30 Buy and sell, just not very much in On3 shows up for sale in these Groups.
I have Pictures of the C&S # 9 , it is in an Overland Box , the Box is Not Original to the Locomotive I can send to your email . Just Let me Know .

 I wanted $ 750.00 for it plus shipping
Thanks, Have a Great Day
 Clint Watkins

PH: 480-273-1803  
    Note: you can call me during the day anytime, leave a message and I can get back to you so I know it is not ghost calls. Or you can email me your PH and I can Call you
Clint Watkins
Casa Grande , AZ.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3

Todd A Ferguson
Clint,

That is good to know. Not sure when I will make it to another convention. All my travel dollars seem to go to attending my sons drag races or visiting family at this time. 

I would love to see the pictures of your number 9 if you want to email them to me... [hidden email]. I just purchased a 5 last week and for the era I am interested in, 1905-1915, but probably 1910-1912 more specifically, the tender of the 5 is more what I need. I will also be looking for some more 2-8-0 over time too. I guess the 57 was done in the earlier detailing, but is harder to find.

What is the wear level of the number 9 would also be a consideration for me. If you could comment on that it would be great along with the photos. I'll look forward to checking them out.

Best,
Todd Ferguson 
Harrisburg, NC 

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 24, 2016, at 5:27 PM, ShadowRock [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Todd,
                   I have been to the Narrow Gauge Conventions and there has been a lot of Items show up.
I do have a C&S # 9 ( 2-6-0 ) in On3 I would be willing to sell . I also am modeling the C&S so as I find Items I try to buy them . If I do not need them , then I let them go .
                   Also there are the On3 & On30 Yahoo Groups . There is O scale Yard scale on the the Yahoo Groups . Many Modelers are starting to go to FaceBook for " O Scale Narrow Gauge "  and On30 group, then there is On30 Buy and sell, just not very much in On3 shows up for sale in these Groups.
I have Pictures of the C&S # 9 , it is in an Overland Box , the Box is Not Original to the Locomotive I can send to your email . Just Let me Know .

 I wanted $ 750.00 for it plus shipping
Thanks, Have a Great Day
 Clint Watkins

PH: 480-273-1803  
    Note: you can call me during the day anytime, leave a message and I can get back to you so I know it is not ghost calls. Or you can email me your PH and I can Call you
Clint Watkins
Casa Grande , AZ.



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-S-1900-to-1915-in-On3-tp6523p6619.html
To unsubscribe from C&S 1900 to 1915 in On3, click here.
NAML
12
Loading...